Friday, July 10, 2009

An Update...Finally

So, I guess I lied when I said I would update you all "fully" on what transpired last week. Given some other "complications", I have been a bit maligned this week and have been unable to do much of anything. Finally, I am getting around to at least an update. Here we go.

Last Friday I woke up with some stabbing lower right abdominal pain followed by contractions that were coming very frequently and regularly. The pain would just not subside, and I was contracting at least every 5 minutes, so I called the emergency number as the office was closed due to the holiday weekend. The nurse I spoke with sent me straight to the hospital, so off we went. Upon arriving, I was sent to triage where I was asked to change into a gown, put on a belly band to hold the monitors in place, and was hooked up to an IV. They wanted to hydrate me first (and very quickly) to make sure that dehydration wasn't the cause of the contractions. (Which, it wasn't.) When first hooked up to the monitors, my contractions were coming every 5 minutes. Soon after, they were coming every two to three minutes. So, a series of tributaline injections were given to calm the contractions while I was checked and tested for being in pre-term labor. The internal exam was more than uncomfortable given the other stabbing abdominal pain I was having, but all tests showed that I was not in preterm labor. I was dilated 1 cm, but that was all...and the FN test came back negative.

So, I was moved to an L&D room for observation. Well, observation turned into a 3 night hospital stay. The contractions kept coming, and the pain didn't let up until Monday. I was continually given shots of tributaline...and each day was then given a procardia tablet as well. Both kept the contractions to a minimum. They were able to rule out an appendicitis...thank god! And, they ruled out just about everything else. Their best guess? A possible GI viral infection. But really, they don't know anything.

An ultrasound in the antenatal unit proved quite interesting. The baby is still in the Frank Breech position (head up, butt down, feet and legs by the head). She is measuring a full two weeks ahead and already weighs approximately 5 lbs and 4 oz. Holy crap! Can you say C-section??? Oh, and almost forgot to mention...my cervix is shortened, too. Not sure by how much, but at this point in the pregnancy, the collective "they" are not worried about it. Ok.

Everything with the baby was more than ok while at the hospital. She continues to have a strong heartbeat, move regularly, have bouts of hiccups...and is just enjoying her uterusland surroundings. Good for her. At least someone is doing well and is happy!

So, coming home from the hospital was supposed to be a good thing. In and of itself, it was. However, all the meds (IV sedation, Percocet, Ambien, etc.) caused me to become constipated. This was not a big deal until after being released when my already pre-existing hemorrhoids decided to completely malfunction. I ended up in excruciating pain and had to call the colorectal surgeon's office on Tuesday morning. They saw me on an "emergency basis". I had at least 4 to 5 prolapsed hemorrhoids, and two of them were thrombosed (meaning they had painful clots formed in them). The doctor needed to surgically excise the clots, so I was given local anesthetic injections (OMG!)...and he went about his cutting. I could barely move off the table, let alone drive myself home. I called my husband to keep him on the phone with me to make sure that I could even get the car out of the parking lot. I managed. Somehow.

After coming home, things continued to go downhill. My body was / is still trying to find a way to re-regulate my GI system. "Going to the bathroom" 5 times in two days did not help me at all as far as trying to heal from my procedure. I was supposed to leave the bandages on for 24 hours...but that just couldn't happen. Nature had other ideas. So, I did my best just to survive and function at all. Matt helped me dress. I slept on the couch for two nights. I took sitz baths 3 to 4 times a day. I cried. I barely moved. Ugggh!

I did have to venture out yesterday to a follow up OB appointment. Let's just say getting into and out of the car wasn't the least bit attractive. I was an invalid. The docs wanted to see me, though, since leaving the hospital and because I had missed my 32 week appt. So, as painful as it was...I made it out. The OB could tell how miserable I was, so after hearing my story, he prescribed me Darvocet to help ease the pain. It is helping take the edge off. I am just starting to feel a bit better, but I still have no desire to go anywhere or do anything. I don't think I will until next week, perhaps.

The OB appointment was fine. I have gained 1.5 lbs in 4.5 weeks. Not my fault. The hospital stay and after issues did not assist in my weight gain efforts. Finnley continues to take what she needs, though. So, in total...my weight gain stands at 18 pounds. Finnley also continues to remain breech, and the OB mentioned that if she is still persistent in her positioning by my next visit in two weeks...they will be talking about scheduling me for a C-section. Stubborn little girl! After all of my "issues", though...a C-section sounds pretty good to me. I am not sure my bottom could handle all the pushing! Yikes!

Anyway...that is the current situation. That is your update. Perhaps too much information? Too bad. I am suffering through it all, so you might as well all know about it. Pregnancy is not always pretty or fun. It can also suck really really bad sometimes. I will keep my eye on the prize, though, and continue to remain confident that it WILL ALL BE WORTH IT! It will, right??? Right???

Note: sorry, but the 33 week belly shot is not going to happen. I was / am in too much pain to bother with it, and now Matt is off to OH for the weekend with the camera in tow. I will update with the 34 week shot next Wednesday, though. promise.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Hang in there- it WILL ALL BE WORTH IT in the end! I had a miserable pregnancy with Jack- aches, pains, gestational diabetes requiring daily insulin injections and finally pre-eclampsia requiring a premature delivery of my breech baby by c-section.

3 years later and he (and his sister) are the best things that have ever happened to me/us! Stay strong and know you may only be 4-5 weeks away from meeting your little girl!

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to let me know if you need ANYTHING! We are around all weekend and would be happy to lend a hand :) -Rachel

M and M: said...

Rachel - ha...thanks for the comment. I sort of figured that others who have been down this road before would tell me that it IS worth it. I think I needed the reminder right now! You know...just to get me through the next few days!!! Thanks for the offer to lend a hand, too. I am hoping to not need anything and to not have to leave the house once. Is that a bad thing? Maybe I can just sleep my way to Monday when I am sure I will feel better? Ok, maybe not. But it sure sounds nice! - Megan

Megan P said...

I feel so happy that everything has stablized and nothing too severe has occured! I am sure the whole hemorrhoid procedure was torture, I can only imagine. I have a bit of a case of them, but nothing too awful yet.

Finnley is a little trooper, hanging in there to stay and grow!! A scheduled C-section does sound like a good path for you and I would be just as semi-relieved!!

Good Luck, Megan!

M and M: said...

Thanks, Megan. Yep...everything is "ok" for the moment. Let's hope that Finnley keeps on being a little trouper! Hope you manage to "stay out of trouble" for the remainder of your pregnancy! - Megan R.